At last! Here’s a breakdown of the Official PS5 Teardown Video, courtesy of Yasuhiro Ootori. In the video, fans get a look at everything inside the PS5.
In the video, Yasuhiro Ootori takes to a PlayStation 5 with hit toolbox and gives fans an exciting look at the consoles innards! Yasuhiro Ootori is the Vice President of the Mechanical Design Department and Hardware Design Department at Sony Interactive Entertainment, so you feel like if anyone knows what’s up, it’s him. The video itself is in Japanese, but there is English Closed Captioning available. The video is for information only and warns against any attempts to replicate this at home.
‘ Risk of exposure to laser radiation, electrical shock, or other injury. Disassembling your PS5 console will invalidate your manufacturers guarantee.’Fun!
In the video below, we get a fantastic look at all the components that will make-up the PS5. It also confirms that the console will not match the Xbox Series X’s 12 Teraflops, but instead will hit 10.3 Teraflops.
Everything We Learn From The Official PS5 Teardown Video
Below, I’ll list everything exciting we learn from the Official PS5 Teardown Video. For the full details, though, check out the video in the tweet above.
- The PS5 is larger than the PS4;
- There is a USB Type-C, with High-Speed Support, and a USB Type-A on the front of the console, with two front-facing air vents either side of this;
- The rear of the console also has two High-Speed Support USB Type-A ports, alongside a Ethernet, HDMI and Power port;
- The entire rear side of the PS5 is an “exhaust port”;
- There is a space to store loose screws in the base, when detached, and used for horizontal placement;
- The white panels on both sides slide off the console pretty easily;
- The cooling fan is the width of the console, present on both sides, with two dust-catchers that can be cleaned with a vacuum cleaner;
- There is an M.2 interface with PCie 4.0 support for future storage expansion;
- The Ultra-HD Blu Ray Drive is covered in a sheet metal casing with insulators to reduce drive noise and vibration when in use;
- There is an internal Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5.1 antenna;
- The CPU has 8 cores and 16 threads, running up to 3.5 GHz, it’s a x86-64-AMD Ryzen “Zen 2”;
- The GPU drives up to 2.23 GHz with 10.3 Teraflops, it’s an AMD Radeon RDNA 2-based graphics engine;
- In terms of memory, it has 8 GDDR6 installed that delivers a maximum bandwidth of 448GB per second;
- It has an 825GB SSD onboard, as opposed to HDD;
- The custom SSD controller can read and transfer data as fast as 5.5GB per second;
- The SoC is significantly smaller, with a high thermal density with liquid metal as the TIM to offer stable cooling;
- The PS5 heatsink is shaped to achieve the same performance as a vapor chamber;
- The power supply is rated at 350W.